How to Boost Creativity with the Power of Chords
Perhaps you had a startling revelation like I did? Watch the video and see if your story is like mine. Click here if you can't see it.
Take the challenge and take charge
My shortcomings were made apparent and a challenge came my way shortly after grad school. Ever since, I've plugged into chords and taken charge. Now I enjoy reading chord charts and I treat myself to improvising at the keys when all my "chores" are done.
If you want to feel more confident and yes, charged up about improvising, then you need to take the challenge yourself and learn your chords. The best place to do that is with me and Bradley Sowash (co-founders of 88 Creative Key Keyboard Improvisation Workshop and Webinars) at our next webinar called Chord Boot Camp. Click on the plug below to sign up.
What you'll learn about chords
- Why the four-chord pattern"Heart and Soul" is a shoe-in for improvisation.
- How to boost your own improvisation skills using that pattern. If I did it, you can too!
- How to teach your students to improvise with it.
- How to explain chord spelling, quality, inversions and function with something that relates to musicians of all ages: ice cream.
- What apps are best suited to reinforce chord mastery.
- What off-bench activities to use to lock in understanding of chords.
Learn from one who's paved the way
It's too hard to measure the influence Bradley Sowash has had in my creative journey. His significant mastery of improvisation, his books, his music, his presentations continue to mold me into the creative musician I am today.
Bradley and I constantly brainstorm on how to connect those who own a similar story to mine with the wonders of improvisation. We both conclude it comes down to knowing chords.
Watch his video to learn what chords have in common with power cords and what Bradley will include in his portion of the webinar. Click here if you can't see it.
What you will learn about chords
- Understanding Chord Symbols - principles, common practices and variations in pop/jazz chord nomenclature.
- Pencil Practice - how to practice chords “off bench” with just a pencil and paper.
- Chord Drills - practical exercises for daily chord practice.
- Roots and Birds in Chordland - three easy rules to keep in mind when playing 7th chords.
- Scaling the Chords - strategies to send reluctant improvisers happily down the path toward more creative music making.
Look what happens when you plug in
Need some evidence of the impact of knowing chords? Below is a video of me--a past read-only, recovering, classically trained pianist--playing my original setting of a favorite hymn tune. Click here if you can't see the video.
The arrangement was completed soon after Bradley and I decided to hold our first 88 Creative Keys workshops in Denver in 2013. I've never forgotten it and I've finally written it down so I can share it with others.
Register for Chord Boot Camp and get something at NO CHARGE!
My setting of "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty" is brand new and for sale at $9.99 (studio license) but I'm offering it for FREE to all those who sign up and pay for Chord Boot Camp by Sunday, November 13th, 11:59pm.
Once you register, email me at email@example.com and I'll email your complimentary score.